Director of Construction Lancaster Ohio
The Role: Director of Construction
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
HireBetters client has more than 60 years experience as a general contractor. Expanding from its base as a single-family home developer in the early 1950s, the company grew the multi-family construction business in both subsidized and conventional markets during the 1970s. The company has constructed over 4,700 housing units throughout Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Indiana, and manages more than 115 properties including a large portfolio of Rural Development, HUD Section 8 and Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties. In the 1990s the commercial division was formed, and the development activities include both rehabilitation and new construction of banks, medical offices, nursing homes, and shopping centers.
The Director of Construction serves as a member of the executive leadership team and is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the strategic plan for the growth and profitability of the construction division. He/she is responsible for developing a highly engaged and talented team who, together, deliver the highest level of service to our customers, optimize sustainable growth and profitability, and maximize the value of our assets and investments. The Director of Construction is responsible for all aspects of construction operations including talent management, business development, operational excellence, and financial management. He/she is responsible for ensuring that quality construction is delivered to our clients on time and within budget.
The Director of Construction is expected to perform all the essential duties timely and accurately, in accordance with all applicable company policies, procedures, processes and practices, and compliant with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The essential duties below are not intended to be all-inclusive, but rather indicative to the duties normally associated with the job.
- Perform all activities associated with acquiring, managing and retaining talent, including hiring, training, evaluating performance, documenting and delivering feedback, developing and engaging talent.
- Contribute to the training plan and drive the execution of training to ensure employees are adequately trained and able to effectively perform his/her job.
- Follow, promote, and enforce safety policies, practices, and procedures to ensure safe working conditions and behaviors are maintained. Assist with safety investigations and corrective actions related to safety hazards and/or incidents.
- Develop and implement a construction strategy that incorporates best practices in safety, customer service, compliance and financial performance, including establishing and overseeing quality construction standards and procedures.
- Develop Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to monitor operational and financial performance. Drive improvements necessary to meet the Companys strategic objectives.
- Oversee and monitor construction operations to ensure profitability and quality are maximized and a culture of high employee engagement, safety, and compliance is maintained. Analyze project plans and specifications to determine overall estimated cost of a project, including understanding the scope of work, reviewing change orders and performing value-engineering studies.
- Participate in construction site visits, inspections and draws to gain insight on opportunities that may affect performance areas such as compliance, safety, meeting deadlines and financial health. Provide guidance and direction on improvement plans.
- Drive engagement programs that support the Companys mission to build community and brand recognition throughout the market and industry.
- Oversee the construction divisions operating budget and develop action plans that deliver on the financial commitments set-forth in the budget. Drive operational improvement in collaboration with applicable resources to optimize financial performance in accordance with the approved budget, forecast or other defined criteria. Provide explanations and action plans for budget variances to support financial planning and improvement.
- Provide insight to budget variances and trends affecting the financial performance of the construction division. Drive operational improvements to stabilize and improve financial results.
- Allocate construction resources to appropriate projects.
- Analyze project profit and loss statements and identify opportunities to maximize revenue and control operating expenses.
- Provide knowledge, education and training to the construction team to enhance the financial performance of the organization. Partner with leaders to identify gaps in capability, accountability and performance.
- Perform essential functions of direct reports as required. Internal controls and separation of duties must be maintained at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Developing Talent & Skills
- Acting with Personal Credibility
- Owning Accountability
- Celebrating Others
- Solving Problems
- Serving Others
Position Specific Competencies
- Decision Quality
- Financial Acumen
- Motivating Others
- Manages Complexity
- Maintain positive and productive relationships with internal and external business partners.
- Actively contribute to the growth and profitability objectives set-forth by the strategic plan.
- Manage risk to the company, investors, owners and partners.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve operational performance and financial returns.
- Acquire, develop and retain talent who are engaged and satisfied with their work.
- Elevate the financial acumen of the construction team to ensure ownership of financial performance and management is maintained.
- Complete training set-forth by the Companys training program, or otherwise assigned.
- Achieve the goals and initiatives set-forth in Individual Workplans.
- Bachelors Degree in Construction, engineering, architecture or a related field
- Minimum eight (8) years of progressive construction experience within multifamily housing communities, new construction and renovation
- Ability to use computer hardware and software, mobile devices, and other technology applications, such as Procore
- Minimum seven (7) years management experience, preferred
- CCM certification, preferred
Interested candidates should apply through the HireBetter website at jobs.hirebetter.com. Qualified applicants will be responded to as quickly as possible.
Please note: Applicants for employment in the U.S. must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship for a visa now or in the future.