Controller Austin Texas
The Role: Controller
Location: Austin, Texas
HireBetter’s client is an advertising and engagement platform made up of 20,000 sites, and delivers over 20 billion messages per month through browser-based push notifications & email. With our client, web publishers are able to monetize and engage their subscribers while giving advertisers a way to reach new audiences.
Our client is seeking a Controller to lead the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department, reporting to the CFO. This position will oversee the monthly close process, customer billing, payment and cost management, general ledger, financial and management reporting, and be the key contact to coordinate the audit tax filings with the outside accounting firm. The ideal candidate will be detailed oriented, accurate, reliable, not hesitant to roll up their sleeves when needed and embrace the challenges of a fast-paced growing organization.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Accountant and the Billing Specialist, to include A/R, collections, A/P, credit cards, accruals, pre-paid, account reconciliations, proper revenue and expense classifications and internal controls.
- Own the entire month-end close and general ledger accounting processes. Liaise with department heads to ensure everyone is aware of their responsibilities and communicate any exceptions or delays, should they arise.
- Responsible for running payroll and other compensation related activities, such as calculating commission payments.
- Prepare and analyze the month-end consolidated financial and management reports, including balance sheet, income statement, cash flow statement and operational analyses. Prepare budget to actual discussion.
- Coordinate with the outside tax firm to ensure compliance with local, states and federal tax laws and regulations. Review and oversee the Avalara processing.
- Coordinate with external auditors to ensure the timely completion of the annual audit.
- Supervise and train accounting team members.
- Identify and implement process improvement initiatives to increase efficiency, accuracy and improve internal controls. Update and implement all business policies and accounting practices.
- Ad-hoc projects as needed by the CFO and/or CEO.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Accounting
- CPA certification is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years broad experience in accounting, including experience in a management role.
- Prior experience as a Controller or Assistant Controller in a start-up environment.
- Software (SaaS) industry or two-sided marketplace experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP) and the ability to stay up to date on trends and new pronouncements.
- Advanced proficiency in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word. PowerPoint) and Google Docs. Familiarity with bill.com, Avalara, third-party customer billing applications and third-party HRIS systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving competencies with the ability to optimize systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, self-starter who takes pride in the quality of work.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and welcome the challenges that it brings, prioritize appropriately, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Team player, strong interpersonal skills including conscientiousness, professionalism, attention to detail, flexibility, and dependability.
- Results-driven and patient
Interested candidates should apply through the HireBetter website at jobs.hirebetter.com. Qualified applicants will be responded to as quickly as possible.
Please note: Applicants for employment in the U.S. must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship for a visa now or in the future.