217 Kingston Lacy Blvd.
Type of Position: Accounting & Finance
Job Number: 2246
The Role: Controller
Location: Austin, TX
HireBetter’ s client is a Texas-based fuel and automotive parts distributor.
The controller will review and prepare accurate and timely financial statements for the company, oversight of accuracy and the reconciliation of all general ledger accounts at month end close, be the team leader and mentor to accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll processing, and all other related accounting support areas. The controller will lead the monthly, quarterly, and fiscal close, year-end audit and in preparation of corporate budgeting and forecasting for all divisions, and monthly analysis of trends. The controller will responsible for the company’ s integrity of all systems of internal control and processes to insure the safeguard of the company assets. The controller will report directly to the CFO.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances; making investments.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Ensures operation of equipment by establishing preventive maintenance requirements and service contracts; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Monitor Cash balances, prepare weekly cash forecast for finding need
- Prepare monthly borrowing base request by lending institutions
- Review and sign off on all month end close GL reconciliation for accuracy
- Review and monitor month end AR for delinquent accounts and discussion with collection department
- Maintain and review roll forward of all notes payables
- Review and or maintain monthly roll forward of fuels inventory for accuracy against purchases and sales
- Assist in the timely preparation of all financial statements and analytical review for trends and variances
- Assist in the investigation of GL integrity issues with roll forward balances and resolve all out of balance issues
- Review and sign off on all month end accruals and journals entries, insuring support and accuracy
- Perform technical GAAP research and assist in implementation of new position statements issued
- Insure that all internal control processes and procedures are followed by all departments
- Assist the CFO with all other special projects assigned
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Accounting, Business Management, Business Economics or other related field of study from an accredited institution preferred
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience in the fuels/lubes distribution industry
- Prior experience working with the following platforms: J.D. Edwards, PDI and/or SAP Crystal Reports
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal controls.
- Strong working knowledge of resource allocation and fund control procedures
- Strong working knowledge of Cost Estimating, Economic Analysis, and Statistical Techniques
- Strong working knowledge of the company’ s profit objectives and the way the controller’ s functions relate to these goals
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and explain a variety of financial data provided on the company’ s financial reports and make recommendations for adjustments in operating practices and procedures as necessary
- A basic understanding of the products and/or services offered by the company
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with multi-division in inventory distribution and retail sales
- Ability to apply conflict resolution skills from an objective perspective and employ additional human resources skills when necessary
- Ability to provide results-oriented briefing of cash status to selected members of the executive leadership team
- Ability to autonomously manage multiple tasks and projects with a high level of effectiveness
- Ability to read, interpret, and implement instructions, policy, procedures, etc.
- Ability to lead, supervise, and motivate subordinates as a strong but humble mentor and teacher
- Ability to maintain in confidence all sensitive information gained through the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities
- Practical knowledge of and ability to use management concepts and principles including leadership, planning, and organizing
- Ability to adhere to and support the company’ s value-based philosophy.
- Ability to adhere to company policies and work requirements.
- Willingness and ability to work additional hours as needed (including weekends & holidays) and travel to various company locations.
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, Access, etc.)
Interested candidates should apply through the HireBetter website at jobs.hirebetter.com. Qualified applicants will be responded to as quickly as possible.
Please note: Applicants for employment in the U.S. must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship for a visa now or in the future.